Monday, February 20, 2006

Pattern in a Singleton's life!

Note: The lines enclosed in [ ] are the gibberish thoughts that go thro' my mind.

At 14:00 hours, when I try to get back to work, fighting sleep - the messenger window pops up

Friend: Hi Visa, U knw, my marriage is fixed!!!!!! engagement is scheduled next week.. marriage will be after 2 months.. Am so excited!!!!
Me: WOW! Congrats..Way to Go..
[The chat then drifts about info about the bride/bride groom. Then the bouncer arrives]
Friend: BTW what about you lady. When are u gonna get married?
Me: Later. mebbe sometime next year.
Friend: Why so late?
Me: Next year is right time for me..
Friend: I don't think so. These things must not be postponed.
Me: Rite now I want to concentrate on my career and I want to be single for some more time. I enjoy my single status.
Friend: U are being crazy.... YAK. YAK. YAK
[This goes on for atleast 2 hours. sigh]

After a long day at work, Am about to get into my house..
[Home sweet home.....WOW! I can crash in a minute!]
Neighbour hood Aunty: Hi Beti, Why are you coming so late from office?
[ Oh Man..Not again. Why do they always time their entry???? ]
Me: [Force myself a grin] Had loads of work
Aunt: Tut.Tut. [Didn't know how to type the chuckle of a lizard!]This is bad. You are burning yourself.
Me: Well, it happens once in a while.
Aunt: ohh..ok.. [she now examines me from head to toe.. suddenly a shrill shriek]
Hai Raaaaaaam. What am I seeing? You have gray hair.
Me: I know..a couple of them. Been there for a while.
Aunt: I can see more than two. And you are not even married!!!!! Who will marry you now? As it is it's very late.. you should have been married by now. But now, what will happen? You work whole day. You come from office late. You have gray hair. Eeeeeeee..I will put on a word to your ma. It is high time we find groom for you. BLAH.. BLAH..

Me:[What the hell. Why don't you leave me alone! I get grey hair 'coz of the stress I get in dealing with jerks like you]
Aunt: I must tell this to other people also.. Arreee Devi. where are you ?
Me: [Goodness gracious. I must escape now.!!!!!!]

This is the routine pattern that is emerging in the last few weeks. Not a single day passes by without hearing some friend of mine getting engaged/hooked. Trust me it's the same story everywhere. Be it my school pals, college friends, MCA gang, colleagues in office, neighbours... the list is endless. Well it's perfectly ok with me if folks wanna get settled in life. But what bothers me the most is the taunting question - "What about you? When are you going to settle in life"

Why can't people get it in between their ears that I have made a conscious decision to focus on my career and not get hooked atleast for another year or so. Well people may argue with me that I can also get married and focus on my career at the same time. But somehow I find this to be strange and I am very much sure it aleast wouldn't work in my case. Nevertheless, all my pleading falls into deaf ears and wherever I go I face the same mocking question again and again. It's as if my single status is a matter of national importance? Ha!


As I am typing this I get to know one of my juniors is getting married.. Oh man! Not again. Time to go invisible in Messenger!

1 Comments:

Blogger Avi said...

Situation sure has changed a lot since u posted this blog nahi?? ;)

7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home